Thursday, July 14, 2011

MY MARKETING, HOW I SURVIVED!!

If you've noticed over the past years (for those that have been in business for awhile) the fashion industry as a whole is probably the wost it's been in years. Brands come and go, stores pop up, can't pay their vendors and eventually close.

When I started my line (awhile ago) everything was new to me. I had no clue what a linesheet was, nor did I know how to get my product out there. I eventually did some research and made some samples out of my 600 sq foot apartment and decided to go store to store all around Los Angeles. My very first store was great, a $1,200 consignment order at Traffic. I worked all day and night trying to make my first business order, after a couple of weeks I gathered my product, put everything in a duffel bag and lugged everything in there. After 5 days I get a call from the buyer saying "we did really well with your line and need to order more". So happy, I jumped in my car and drove to the Beverly center. As I picked up my $1200 check and went over the 2nd order I was saying to myself "this is what I really want to do".

 After going store to store around Southern California  I managed to acquire 15 stores in a month; unfortunately there was a small problem....I had $18,000 worth of orders due in 30 days and I had $650 in my bank account. So I had to make the dreaded call home asking for money for the product...Thankfully, I received a "loan" worked 80 hours a week and got the order done without a minute to spare.

Over the next couple of years and spending thousands of dollars on trade shows (of which i never made my money back) I researched everyday trying to get my product in the best stores, contacting magazines,Stylist and eventually hired a couple of showrooms.  Although, I  recommend the use of an agent they only acquired 28 stores in 3 years. So 260 stores later and  5 years in business I received an offer to sell my business that I couldn't refuse....

No comments:

Post a Comment